You are blessed! Ephesians 1
Read: Today we begin a study on the book of Ephesians. Considered the “Pinnacle of the New Testament”, Ephesians is filled with incredible promise regarding who we are “IN CHRIST”. In fact, the fact that you and I are “IN HIM” is the major theme of the first chapter.
- 1. Read Ephesians 1:3 “Every spiritual blessing IN CHRIST”. How do you think marriage or a parental relationship can describe what it means to be “in Him” when we think of our connection to God? What are the benefits of marrying well (e.g. a poor person marries a rich one and in the “oneness” of marriage, become a greater person)?
- 2. Can you think of any other pictures, biblical or otherwise, for what it might be like to be “in Him”?
Blessed “in Him”
- 3. Read through Ephesians 1:3-8 slowly, looking for words that describe your inheritance, your blessings, from God. Pause and discuss what you think each verse means. Don’t worry if there’s bit you don’t understand.
The Holy Spirit – the first instalment of your Inheritance!
- 4. Read Ephesians 1:13-14 The Holy Spirit is the seal, the first down payment, the introduction, to your inheritance. Go around the group, sharing everything you think you know about the work of the Holy Spirit, from scripture and experience. This knowledge is evidence of the seal of the Spirit in your life.
- 5. Well known evangelist Moody was to have a campaign in England. An elderly pastor protested, “Why do we need this ‘Mr. Moody’? He’s uneducated, inexperienced, etc. Who does he think he is anyway? Does he think he has a monopoly on the Holy Spirit?” A younger, wiser pastor rose and responded, “No, but the Holy Spirit has a monopoly on Mr. Moody.” Discuss among the group, how the Holy Spirit could have a greater monopoly on your life.
- 6. Read Ephesians 1:15-19, praying each of the truths listed for all of you in the group.